Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Advertise here
      MTV$
      Thanks

Red face 15 Ways to Extend Your Laptopís Battery Life

1. Defrag regularly: The faster your hard drive does its work Ė less demand you are going to put on the hard drive and your battery. Make your hard drive as efficient as possible by defragging it regularly. (but not while itís on battery of course!) Mac OSX is better built to handle fragmentation so it may not be very applicable for Apple systems.

2. Dim your screen: Most laptops come with the ability to dim your laptop screen. Some even come with ways to modify CPU and cooling performance. Cut them down to the lowest level you can tolerate to squeeze out some extra battery juice.

3. Cut down on programs running in the background: All these add to the CPU load and cut down battery life. Shut down everything that isnít crucial when youíre on battery.

4. Cut down external devices: USB devices (including your mouse) & WiFi drain down your laptop battery. Remove or shut them down when not in use. It goes without saying that charging other devices (like your iPod) with your laptop when on battery is a surefire way of quickly wiping out the charge on your laptop battery.

5. Add more RAM:This will allow you to process more with the memory your laptop has, rather than relying on virtual memory. Virtual memory results in hard drive use, and is much less power efficient. Note that adding more RAM will consume more energy, so this is most applicable if you do need to run memory intensive programs which actually require heavy usage of virtual memory.

6. Run off a hard drive rather than CD/DVD: As power consuming as hard drives are, CD and DVD drives are worse. Even having one in the drive can be power consuming. They spin, taking power, even when they?re not actively being used. Wherever possible, try to run on virtual drives using programs like Alcohol 120% rather than optical ones.

7. Keep the battery contacts clean: Clean your batteryís metal contacts every couple of months with a cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol. This keeps the transfer of power from your battery more efficient.

8. Take care of your battery: Exercise the Battery. Do not leave a charged battery dormant for long periods of time. Once charged, you should at least use the battery at least once every two to three weeks. Also, do not let a Li-On battery completely discharge. (Discharing is only for older batteries with memory effects)

9. Hibernate not standby: Although placing a laptop in standby mode saves some power and you can instantly resume where you left off, it doesnít save anywhere as much power as the hibernate function does. Hibernating a PC will actually save your PCís state as it is, and completely shut itself down.

10. Keep operating temperature down: Your laptop operates more efficiently when itís cooler. Clean out your air vents with a cloth or keyboard cleaner, or refer to some extra tips by LapTopMag.com.

11. Set up and optimize your power options: Go to ĎPower Optionsí in your windows control panel and set it up so that power usage is optimized (Select the Ďmax batteryí for maximum effect).

12. Donít multitask: Do one thing at a time when youíre on battery. Rather than working on a spreadsheet, letting your email client run in the background and listening to your latest set of MP3's, set your mind to one thing only. If you donít youíll only drain out your batteries before anything gets completed!

13. Go easy on the PC demands: The more you demand from your PC. Passive activities like email and word processing consume much less power than gaming or playing a DVD. If youíve got a single battery charge Ė pick your priorities wisely.

14. Get yourself a more efficient laptop: Laptops are getting more and more efficient in nature to the point where some manufacturers are talking about all day long batteries. Picking up a newer more efficient laptop to replace an aging one is usually a quick fix.

15. Prevent the Memory Effect: If youíre using a very old laptop, youíll want to prevent the Ďmemory effectí Ė Keep the battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it at least once every two to three weeks. Exceptions to the rule are Li-Ion batteries (which most laptops have) which do not suffer from the memory effect.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaSnAke For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
      Advertise here Circuit advertisement

MTV$
      Thanks

Re: 15 Ways to Extend Your Laptopís Battery Life

very good tips and i want to buy a laptop and i want to know more and more about laptops and tricks about laptops... so thank you

MTV$
      Thanks

Hi,
      I liked your topic alot but I want to ask about something..
      Is Putting on the battery while the laptop Is pluged in socket having bad effect on battery or not?

MTV$
      Thanks

nice ways u have there, thanks for sharing, i have a laptop and i don't really use the battery when i'm home, i just plugged the charger to my laptop, no battery just direct plugged. I only use the battery when i'm on the go, like in going to school, or any place that i wanna go and play with my laptop, and i don't charge my battery yet until it gets 10%, and I always check every time when its full because i don't want my battery to get overcharged and i think that makes the battery go bad.. and yes I always prefer hibernate rather than standby,

MTV$
      Thanks

Nice tip going to test this on my laptop thank you.
      I'm already defraging but the other tip i did'nt know.

-kerex132

MTV$
      Thanks

nice thread thanks for sharing, i will use these tips when i buy a Laptop, it is good for my laptops , i have loadshedding in my country so it ocurs than i will use this technic.

MTV$
      Thanks

May I know how can I defrag my laptop? I dont know how to. please help me. I want to add some tips. If you are using your laptop at home dont use it with battery. Remove the battery and plug your charger

MTV$
      Thanks

thank you for this tip on how to make your laptop live longer and make it fast. Bookmarked it already!

MTV$
      Thanks

thanks for the tips. i never thought it could get to 15 tips! i always found around 5 to 8 tips but this one is great. thanks for sharing and hopefully everyone follow it...

MTV$
      Thanks

Thank you so much for the information regarding the tips to extend the battery of the laptop. It is very helpful for us take care of our belongings. My knowledge in extending the battery life had been added for I only knew two ways on how to take care of it.

MTV$
      Thanks

Wouldn't You Give The Credits To original Writers???
      http://www.friedbeef.com/top-15-ways...-battery-life/

Don't Just Copy And Paste Things

Thread Information